Friday, March 27, 2009

When Hell Freezes Over!

Bad weather in Dubai is as much a rarity as seeing good news about Paris Hilton. So, the weather forecast of 60-70% chance of rain and thunderstorms had everyone talking. The last time we got rain here was January of last year during Bush's visit and the streets were flooded everywhere and Kel had to work from home.

The excitement about impending inclement weather was unbearable for me. I hadn't seen a cloudy sky for months and real rain for at least a year.

Wednesday was the big day. I woke up to sun and my disappointment was palpable. During the early afternoon the clouds started rolling in and my excitement doubled. But no rain. After I put Dylan to bed, the wind started picking up and sand was blowing everywhere. But no rain.

My friend came over that evening to have a drink and just after she arrived I heard heavy drops assailing the kitchen window. I grabbed my camera (nerdy I know) and opened the back door which faces west (toward the ocean side) and was immediately pelted by HAIL! Yes, my friends, hail in the desert. My friend dashed out to move her car under cover and I took pictures and a few little videos. I knew that no one would believe that this actually happened.

I'm sure people driving by thought that the girl laughing and dancing around in the hail with a camera was insane. Maybe not insane, but definitely a little tipsy.

I IM'd my good friend down the street (also from Texas) and he said "what is it they say? oh yeah, when Hell freezes over." So, there you have it. The high for the day was 99 and it hailed. Go figure.



That's the hail. Bigger than pea, smaller than dime. Crazy. The green thing is my water hose.


1 comment:

Sara said...

You crack me up -- we need to get you back here to some weather!