Sunday, June 22, 2008

9 Cans of Rotel and 8 Tubs of Frosting

I know, I know, you're wondering...rotel and frosting, where is this gonna go?

I've enjoyed living as an expat tremendously! Have I changed? Absolutely! If it's possible, I've become more outgoing, apparently fell in love with the exclamation point, and am now a hoarder! The latter makes me a true expat - no longer a rookie. Let me explain.

HEB does not exist in Dubai! Oh how I miss it (and Target)! The grocery stores over here, while well stocked with a variety of items, don't always load up on the Texan goods or other pantry necessities. You can't find a chipotle here to save your life! And, it's quite often hit and miss. You can't bank future success on past finds.

So here's the deal. When you find something that you LOVE, you must buy every single one on the shelf, because quite possibly it will be not be there next time. Frosting, tortillas, and rotel all fall into the stock up category. It's so bad that there are posts on the expat woman forum of ladies looking for certain items. I could have made a fortune selling Betty Crocker frosting on the black market! Cake Balls (thanks Mel!) are a hit here and tub frosting is a vital ingredient. It's not uncommon for me to receive an email from a friend here passing the word that frosting is in stock (of course only after she has stocked up herself!).

So there it is. I hoard. And I am not ashamed.

Anyone for dinner? I'm serving queso with a little frosting on the side.





4 comments:

Jill Trew Davidson said...

I am so mad I was not invited over for rotel and frosting :( cake balls krissy!!! :( can you hear me crying from here!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sara said...

Cake balls, huh? Yum! The question is, are we all going to have to break you of your hoarding habit when you come back??:)

Natasha said...

Rotel? I keep hearing about it from another Texan in NYC! I have never tasted it before, my interest in it just went up 50%!!
I am with you on hoarding! When I go to Abuja, I have to hoard anytime I see makeup I love! They usually have lots of things we have here but the price is 3 times more! Can you envision Honey Bunches of Oats for $12?!!! Tragic. Lastly, every country should be forced to have a Target, it is as necessary as breathing air.

MadMad said...

I remember those hoarding days, from when I lived overseas! (And I think it's still stuck a little with me.) But what I also remember is not using the stuff, either. Everything had to be "sponge-worthy," so to speak. And nothing ever was, so the stuff would go bad, lol!