Sunday, March 20, 2011

Even Playtime is Organized

I had an epiphany the other day because I realized that a lot of my frustration with Dylan stems from traits that I see in him that are exactly like me.  Here is a list (because that's how we roll over here). 

1.  It pains me to admit this, but his whining is probably 'most' of my fault.  It's pointed out to me by a party who shall remain nameless (because I would like to rip his head off at times) that I sound whiny when I'm reprimanding him.  I get so irritated when he whines, but alledgedly I am just as guilty...
2.  Today he had a conversation with daddy that went a little something like this...
Kelly - Do you want to go outside and play catch?
Dylan - Yes, and then we come inside I can eat lunch?
Kelly - Yes.
Dylan - After I eat lunch I can play for a little while, then it's nap time right?
Kelly - Yes.
Dylan - So we can play catch, I can eat lunch, play, and then take a nap, ok??
Kelly - I think we've established this.
So, he's a tad bit of a planner.  I was getting irritated at his listing mania when I realized that I do the SAME thing to Kelly all the time!  From planning meals to planning our vacations five years in advance, I'm not happy unless I've got some kind of plan.
3.  He has a little perfectionist in him.  He has to finish doing what he's started before he can do something else...if he's started putting all of his cars into the laundry basket, so help you if you tell him he needs to get dressed.  It bugs the crap out of me when he does that - especially when it's time to go to school so mama can have some quiet time.  However, it makes me almost ill to not finish what I've started.  Ahem, laundry pile, I'm looking at you!  Your unfolded chaos is driving me cccccrazy!

And finally...
4.  He is ORGANIZED!  This pleases me to no end!  He cleans up his playroom like a rockstar!  All of his picture labeled bins were a brilliant idea (props to the awesome person - yours truly - who came up with that little gem of an idea)!  All of the cars are in the car bin, all of the balls are in the ball bin (hee hee), and all of the puzzles make it into the puzzle bin.  And, he even plays in an organized fashion...can you tell we've been reading our Dinosaur Train books?

You can't see it in the picture, but all the palm trees and rocks are lined up so that the dinosaurs each have access to them. 

I'm going to try and ease my frustration with the knowledge that my firstborn will have goals and plans and the demeanor to follow through with them OR he will just whine until he gets his way.  I'm good either way!

No comments: