Sunday, May 11, 2008

SUV Bliss!

FINALLY we bought a car! It was getting so hard for me not to have one of my very own. We got a Mitsubishi Nativa (only made in Mexico and the Middle East) which is the same, I think, as a Montero. It's a handy little SUV similar to my 4Runner (which I miss terribly) and it's great to have a vehicle to lug stuff around in again. I missed lugging! Kel was definitely happy to see all the baby paraphernalia leave his car!

I immediately put on my Longhorn decal, but sadly haven't seen one anywhere else. I'm remaining positive. I did stalk some people that had a state of Texas sticker on their car. Kel thought I was crazy, but it's nice to know a few fellow Texans that can commiserate on the lack of good Mexican food. Seriously, Taco Bell is sounding like heaven right about now.
Anyway, back to the car...
Dubai's traffic system basically involves a bunch of speed cameras and the black point system which I included a few posts back. There's even a website where you can enter your license plate number to see your fines. (You don't have to pay them until you re-register your car the next year.) I decided to check out the website today to see what it said, not expecting to find anything because I've only had the car about a month. I was SHOCKED to see that I had a fine of 600 dirhams! It doesn't say what it's from, but since I received no black points I guess it was for speeding.

The max speed on the highways here is 120 km/h. In my car, I have a constant dinging when I speed above 120 which DOES NOT stop until I go 120 again. Unless I want to listen to DING, DING, DING, DING, DING, DING, DING, DING (you get the picture?), I rarely speed. However, there is no minimum speed and many of the highways are 2 lanes, which means you have trucks in the right lane travelling around 80 km/h and the crazies who go 180 km/h in the left lane. I'm stuck in the middle and constantly have to switch lanes. Occasionally, I have to endure the dinging so that I can pass the way overloaded truck and make it back around before the bright white Range Rover with completely blacked out, I mean, tinted windows threatens to run me off the road. I guess my stupid fine came during one of these moments. The date was April 27th...2 weeks after getting the car.

So pretty!

Hook em! I know, it needs a wash, but you try to keep it clean in a land of sand!

2 comments:

Sara said...

I know you are so excited to be able to get around -- this has been a goal for a while! Try not to get too many fines crazy woman! :)

Meredith and TJ said...

I'm so glad you were able to get some wheels! Try not to get any of the black points :-)